We enjoyed this article from Fast Company about how January is the most popular month for job search. However, we know that job searching takes many months to make progress, so for those of you that started this month, keep it up! Networking, research, and applications will start to produce results, but it may take a bit longer than one month.
- Update your resume with your work experience from the summer
- Identify 15-20 target companies that are coming on campus
- Develop a spreadsheet with dates for: campus presentations, campus events, drop date for resume and cover letter, and interview dates.
- Rank order your list of employers from most interested to least interested. Begin with your “most interested” employers and contact an alum to discuss their experiences.
- Ensure you mention the alum and the conversation in your cover letter drafts.
- Sign up for a mock interview at your campus career center as soon as possible to assess whether you need further practice